Saturday, May 12, 2018

Today In The Cafe... You Never Regret Kindness

Today in the cafe... An older couple came into the cafe just after the kitchen had technically closed. They wanted some hot food. They liked the look of the soup. Sometimes you get a feeling about people, they just need some soup and a warm and quiet place to sit. I said yeah, sure, of course we're still open. The husband thanked me and apologised, saying they would have been here three hours earlier, but they had been stuck in St Vincent's Hospital. They loved the soup. I don't know their story, but I do know they needed that soup and that time out in a quiet and warm place more than I needed to go home.
Short time later, a paramedic walks in, clearly ready to walk back out again because clearly, we are closed.
Are you closed? she asks.
Yes we are closed, I tell her, but what were you after?
Just a couple of coffees...
An imploring look.
Of course I can do you a couple of coffees.
She was so grateful because, she told me, she had had such a busy day and had been trying to get coffee for most of the day but just didn't get the chance.
A paramedic's busy day isn't quite the same as a barista's busy day.
I was happy to end the day on two acts of kindness, because as a friend just pointed out, you never regret kindness.

No comments: