Wednesday, January 07, 2009

The Burlesque Hour... A Teaser.


I had a bitch of a time writing my story about Moira Finucane and The Burlesque Hour. Seriously, it did my head in. Usually 1,000 words is a breeze but it took hours to get this one down. Just couldn't get a roll going. Why? I think it's because it's such a rich show, she's such an interesting performer, and so much has already been written about it that I found it hard to avoid familiar ground.

Here's the direction I took:

SOMETHING OLD, SOMETHING NEW


IF YOU’RE ONE OF THE MANY PEOPLE WHO BLINKED AND MISSED TICKETS TO THE BURLESQUE OUR IN THE SPIEGELTENT IN NOVEMBER, STOP WHIMPERING AND GET ALONG TO THE STUDIO FOR THE GIRLS’ RETURN. LEE BEMROSE ASKED C0-CREATOR AND PERFORMER MOIRA FINUCANE WHAT TO EXPECT.



If you concentrate on some of Moira Finucane’s darker performances, the prospect of interviewing her could a little intimidating, like the prospect of interviewing Grace Jones or Diamanda Galas. These are fiercely intelligent women who delight in the darker side of human nature and who are not afraid to take chances with their art, and in doing so have created something unique.


However Finucane’s performances are rarely as unrelentingly dark as that of Galas’, nor, it would appear, is she as precious about her image as Grace Jones. Still, if you’ve seen her perform you’ll know she is no shrinking violet. And that’s where the prospect of an interview being intimidating comes in.

It was far from an intimidating interview. She was lovely and she's an amazing performer. I'm really very surprised I had such a hard time getting the piece down. Will post the rest of it after it comes out in Drum... although I'm away from the computer for the next couple of weeks. Hmm.

Hmmmm.

Of all the images of Moira Finucane, I think this one is my favourite.

(One more sleep til road trip).

No comments: